Thursday, October 27, 2011

Letting Go


In your efforts to become more mindful about eating, are you surprised by how frequently you find yourself having just eaten something you did not plan to eat or eating more than you planned? Did you tell yourself “I will only have one piece of that Halloween candy” and then find yourself finishing off the fourth piece? Have you found yourself sitting down to dinner with a single serving sized bowl of pasta (2 oz.) with a plan to stop after that bowl? And then found yourself deep into a second bowl wondering, “How did I get here, again?”

This kind of unconscious response to urges can keep us stuck in a sense of powerlessness and loss of control over our eating. We can end up losing hope about our ability to change our behavior. I understand the sense of helplessness one can feel when they find themselves, once again eating more than they planned.

One way to help ourselves is to practice Letting Go. But what would we be letting go of in the case of mindless or binge eating? We let go of the automatic fulfillment of urges. We let go of unconscious, non-mindful eating. We become mindful, or aware of our thoughts. An urge starts with a physiological stimulus, e.g., a drop in blood sugar or salivary glands stimulated by the thought or sight of a food. And then, very, VERY rapidly the urge becomes a thought such as “I need’, “I want”, or “That would be good!”.

In mindful eating, we can increase awareness of our thought patterns. This begins with awareness of times you typically feel urges and tend to go unconscious and let them control you.  I am aware that urges readily arise for me when I am hungry in the grocery store, after an emotionally stressful event, and when there are sugary foods around. Once I know target situations, I can stay alert. Then I notice physiological responses. This takes time. If you have numbed your body’s normal reaction from too much binging, you may not notice reactions such as blood sugar changes or salivation as part of your eating process. And finally I note my thoughts. This is where I really have to stay alert! Cause the mind is a tricky tool!

Letting Go of the thoughts that lead to me binging such as “Just this once”, “It’s a special occasion”, “I deserve it”, and even the classic 5 year-old thought “But I waaaaant it!” results in a stronger sense of self respect and efficacy. Letting Go feels GOOD, once you get in the habit!

Here is a brief visualization you can use to let go of urges (thoughts) which could lead you to overeat:

Begin by taking 3 deep breaths to help yourself become present in your body. Then begin to see in your mind’s eye a bouquet of brightly colored balloons. See yourself select one, pick a special color. See yourself bringing the balloon closer. Begin to visualize the thoughts or phrases you are trying to release as words floating in your mind. Move the words in your mind into your balloon. As you do, notice the lightness you feel already.

Now take the balloon by the string into your left hand and walk the balloon away from where you are. See yourself walk away holding the balloon high. And when you are ready, release the balloon into the sky. Watch it begin to float away, watch it as it flies high over rooftops and buildings, notice as it get farther and farther way. Notice as it becomes a speck in the sky and Then *Ping* disappears!

Give this visualization a try when you are experiencing a persistent urge. Let it Go and feel freer to focus on the present people and activities in your life rather than food. And if you feel the urge to run after that balloon and refocus on that urge to overeat, just release it with your breath.  Just Let it Go, up, up and away!



JME Affirmation for the Day
I am free to choose the thoughts I think. I am free to choose the actions I take. I am grateful to be growing in  peace as I choose to let go of urges to overeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment